Learn to play Crazy In Love by Beyonce on Drums
Follow our step by step breakdown of Crazy In Love to listen to every part and learn how to play it yourself. Want to take your skills even further? Download the Melodics app where you can access hundreds of lessons, track every hit and measure your improvement.
Featuring your favorite songs, Melodics creates bite-sized lessons that level up your skills on the drums.
Beyoncé, born on September 4, 1981, in Houston, Texas, is a global icon renowned for her powerhouse vocals, dynamic stage presence, and groundbreaking contributions to the music industry. Rising to fame as the lead singer of Destiny's Child, Beyoncé's solo career reached new heights with the release of her debut album "Dangerously In Love" in 2003, featuring the chart-topping hit "Crazy In Love." This infectious anthem not only solidified her status as a solo artist but also showcased her ability to seamlessly blend R&B, hip-hop, and pop, leaving an indelible mark on the landscape of contemporary music.
Learn the A section
Open the A section with a basic 4 on the floor groove, playing the crash every two bars.
Learn the B section
Move to the ride for the B section. Start with a simplified version of the 4 bar repeating groove here. Watch for the 1/8 note kicks in bar 2, and the missing kick in bar 4.
Add the kicks
Now add the 1/16 note kicks in, playing on beats 2-e and 4-e in every bar. Be sure to use Practice Mode if you need to slow it down and get the groove locked in.
Play the song
Now combine the two sections to play the whole arrangement - the form is: A - B - A - B - A.
Melodics is the best way to build your musical skills
- The drum part features a driving rhythm with a strong emphasis on the backbeat, which adds to the song's dynamic feel. While the complexity of playing the song on the drums depends on the drummer's skill level, the straightforward 4/4 time signature and the consistent groove make it accessible for many drummers, especially those with a good sense of timing and rhythm. It's a great song for drummers looking to add an exciting and iconic piece to their repertoire.
- To play "Crazy In Love" on drums, focus on mastering precise timing, emphasizing the backbeat, and incorporating dynamic shifts. Hone hi-hat control, kick drum patterns, and subtle elements like flams and ghost notes for authenticity. Practice fills and listen closely to the original recording to capture the distinctive groove and feel of Beyoncé's iconic song.
- "Crazy In Love" by Beyoncé has a tempo of approximately 99 beats per minute (BPM). This moderate tempo contributes to the song's energetic yet danceable feel.
- "Crazy In Love" by Beyoncé has a time signature of 4/4. This means there are four beats in a measure, and the quarter note receives one beat. The song maintains a steady and danceable rhythm throughout, contributing to its energetic and infectious feel.
- "Crazy In Love" by Beyoncé is primarily in the key of Bb minor. The key signature for Bb minor includes two flats: Bb and Eb. The use of this key contributes to the song's sultry and intense atmosphere, complementing Beyoncé's powerful vocals and the overall dynamic production of the track.
You can navigate to where Songs are in Melodics via the [Explore] >[Songs] section of the app.
Anyone with Melodics and a MIDI drums, keys or pads instrument can browse and audio preview any song in the catalog for free. Currently, you must have a subscription for a Melodics Songs plan in order to access the learning and playing component of Songs lesson content.
- Melodics subscribers prior to our September 1st 2022 launch have a free upgrade to the Songs tier from your Standard plan (thanks for believing in us!). Missed the memo? Get in touch.
- For Standard Tier subscribers (post September 1st 2022) and Melodics free users: Check out Melodics’ plans to upgrade to Songs, visit melodics.com/plans
The high caliber to which our music team produce our renditions for each song and try to capture the original sound and spirit behind the music and artists is unparalleled in the world of music-learning apps.
It’s really important when you’re learning popular music that you get a proper chance to focus without distraction — that means no bad renditions, dinky instruments or shoddy vocal attempts allowed!
With Melodics, we want your experience of playing your favorite songs to feel authentic — like you’re sitting in with the band itself
Melodics launched Songs on September 1st, 2022 with 59 songs in the catalog. Across keys, pads and drums instruments, with multiple levels of difficulty for each song, that’s over 200 distinct lessons for songs to play, plus 1500+ lessons, exercises, courses and a Guided Path to get your skills up to speed!
We always have more Songs in production, and we’ll be doing more Song bundle drops regularly so the catalog grows and stays fresh.
Songs are only available to Premium plan subscribers. As a free user you can preview songs and hear how they sound by hitting the lesson audio preview. If you’d like an idea of how learning songs with Melodics can benefit your broader musical journey, check out our article on navigating your learning journey.